They are looking for people from all backgrounds to become our future senior leaders. Our award-winning graduate leadership development programme, The Fast Stream offers structured development with a choice of 15 government professions.
Are you one of them?
They need talented people to lead the future Civil Service. Whoever you are, whatever your background, the Fast Stream is the fastest route to real leadership.
The Civil Service helps the government of the day to implement their commitments and deliver high quality services to the public. Our work impacts every aspect of society and our organisation is built on a culture where people genuinely matter.
Culture of the Civil Service
Your work on the Fast Stream will have unique intellectual appeal, and bring you unrivalled career scope and variety. In an environment of integrity, honesty, objectivity and political impartiality, all you have to do is be yourself, show enthusiasm and enjoy.
When you apply to the Fast Stream it’s your skills, attitude and outlook that matter in the selection process. The Civil Service Competency Framework has more details about what is expected of civil servants.
- Starting Salary: Varies between £27k – £36k
- Entry Requirements: Some specialisms require minimum 2.1 some 2.2 degree
- Deadlines: Applications Close in December
- Government Economic Service: You’ll embark on a career path in economics that influences policy, shapes the government’s response to some of the key issues of the day and changes lives.
- Government Statistical Service: You’ll work across government applying your analytical talents to tackle the big issues for the UK.
- Government Operational Research Service: You’ll use scientific and mathematical techniques to find better solutions to government policy making and resolve complex management problems.
- Government Social Research: Identify, evaluate policy, analyse and interpret the social trends and research that help influence major decisions
- Generalist: You’ll work on issues of national importance, driving forward policies and delivering operations that change society for the better
- Diplomatic Service: you’ll promote British interests overseas and support our businesses and citizens around the world.
- Human Resources: On the Human Resources Fast Stream you’ll make a difference to the way the Civil Service does business by looking after our most precious resource
- Houses of Parliament: you’ll work at the heart of democracy.
- Diplomatic Service Economics: The heart of global macroeconomic policy and international relations.
- Digital, Data and Technology: you will lead teams that design, build and run government digital services and transform the lives of millions of people.
- Commercial: seal the deal in one of Europe’s largest buying organisations
- Science and Engineering: you’ll help ensure the best science and engineering underpins government policy, across a wide range of areas.
- Finance: you’ll make your mark on some of the most important economic and financial issues facing the country.
- Government Communication Services: you won’t just read the headlines. You’ll help to make them.
- Project Delivery: You’ll develop professional skills to help deliver the most exciting projects happening in Britain today.
1. There are 2 online questionnaires, an e-tray exercise testing decision-making skill and a video interview.
2. If you pass all of the above online exercises, depending on the schemes you have chosen there may be additional information to be completed, an intermediate sift process, or a numerical test to take.
3. Half Day Assessment Centre. The assessment centre reflects some of the key elements of a Fast Stream role and will consist of a leadership exercise, a group exercise and a written analysis exercise.
4. Most schemes will then require a final selection stage, we’ll ask you to attend this final assessment if you reach the required standard at the assessment centre.
- Website: https://www.faststream.gov.uk/
- Social-Wall: https://www.faststream.gov.uk/social-wall/
- Youtube link:
- Speak to current/former trainees
- Practice! Practice! Practice!
- Be yourself!